Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Paul Review - Sneak Preview, Not Yet Released!

Paul (2011)



Rated: R
Running Time: 104 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi, Comedy, Adventure
Director: Greg Mottola

To summarize the premise, two besties (& a couple of sure-fire nerds), Graeme (Simon Pegg) and Clive (Nick Frost) are embarking on a cross country adventure hoping to catch a glimpse of anything supernatural and to obtain numerous photo opts at some of the most popular alien-sighting attractions. Amid their travels, they encounter quite an oddity to say the least - something they yap about constantly but truthfully did not desire a chance meeting with - an alien! Not just any alien, Paul to be specific. This creature, while the stereotypical big-headed green man, is not quite what they expected. A smart-alec who speaks English, makes pop-culture references and appears to be a genius who has the humor of a 14 year old boy. He needs the pair of fanatics to help him dodge a top-secret government agency who'd been housing him as a consultant of sorts for decades yet they had determined he'd served his needs and was to be disposed of.

Unfortunately I have to admit, I wasn't looking forward to it - from the trailer alone, it didn't have me sold. I went because I'm not one to turn down a free screener's pass! I will say I enjoyed it more than I thought I would yet it was not consistently interesting or comical. A few of the human/alien exchanges were dry and empty. I missed some references although I did get a few of them but not enough to crack more than a grin. Some of the crude jokes/gestures were brainless and unamusing yet I suppose for this movie's target group (boys/men teens to mid thirties who have grown up going to comic cons etc..), it's quite fitting! Jason Bateman never fails to play his role perfectly and a well-placed slap had to be the best scene (aside from the ending) in the film. We all certainly know Simon Pegg, and his bff in real life, Nick Frost, is familiar too. Yet the pair didn't wow me in any way. I will say it was better than I gauged yet nothing to be too excited over. I would love the opinion of an individual who got ALL the references and is a man in the age group I mentioned above. While I do not believe girls should watch "girl" movies only and vice versa, in this case, the target group will likely be the only group able to enjoy this oddball. In addition, the references to Christians were insulting. Although I understand that as in lots of cases within film, especially a comedy, what's written about is an extreme but to make fun of a belief and attributing those who believe in it to be naive, brain-washed individuals is irritating and false.

This movie gets an overall, 1.5 out of 5 frames!



While there certainly existed hilarities (did I just make up a word?!), overall it was slowly paced with not enough laughs to have me watch again. I'm certain though for geeks (not hatin', just statin') they'll catch more of the relations and it may appeal to them more than the average viewer. FYI - NOT for kids!!

Watch the trailer if you haven't already:



Will you go see this movie, wait for netflix or nix it? Let me know - post to the forum!

Danae signing off!

source: traileraddict.com, imdb.com

No comments:

Post a Comment